Monday, October 17, 2016

Textual Poaching


Ko Ngatokimatawhaurua te waka
Ko Mahia te tupuna
Ko Ngapuhi te iwi
Ko Te Uri o Hua te hapu
Ko Hikurangi te maunga
Ko Awarua te awa
Ko Taanara raua ko Tiiana oku matua 
Ko Barlow raua ko Wihongi te whanau
Ko Taylor Terewai Tiave ahau

Growing up I was at a constant personal battle trying to understand my identity. My father's side is made up of mixed Caucasian blood while my mother's is a mix of Maori, Tongan, German, and English. When I filled out forms in school, and even now as an adult as I fill out government forms or surveys, I'm always torn between marking "White" or "Pacific Islander". Why do they only give the option to fill one? Where does that leave us multiracial beings? The older I get the better I understand how to uphold and keep alive my Polynesian ancestry in not only a predominantly white society, but also a post-modern society.


For the past few years there has been a vast number of viral videos released of high schools football teams (or similar settings) performing the traditional and sacred war dance, the haka. Anciently, these chants were used to honor ancestors and to prepare warriors for battle. However, nowadays we often see it performed by boys (and sometimes even girls *knife to my heart) who have little to no understanding of its sacred purpose, other than they want to look "cool" and "fierce". In a video like this, for example, they look nothing but the opposite. I not only find it disgraceful but incredibly disrespectful. Excuse my bluntness.

Oil Portrait of Ina Te Papatahi by C.F. Goldie
That is why for this assignment I wanted to pay an honest and sincere tribute to my Maori heritage, something I hold very dear to my heart. I was inspired by an 18th century classic oil painter, C.F. Goldie. He is primarily known for his captivating oil paintings of elderly, tattooed Maoris. The first piece I created was a manipulation of his oil portrait of Ina Te Papatahi. I decided to recreate it as an Andy Warhol pop art style piece to represent my bringing my culture into the modern day.




Waka Taua of the Maori of New Zealand by Herbert Kawainui Kane





The second piece I created was to represent my grandparents (my mother’s parents) immigration to U.S. In Maori culture, we learn of the seven waka (canoe) that traveled to New Zealand. Ironically, my family went the opposite direction of their ancestors in search of better opportunities. I purposely meshed a painting portraying Maori voyagers and a photo of my mother’s family as they travelled by boat to America to show this contrast. I’m grateful for my Maori ancestors and their discovery of a new land, New Zealand, as well as the sacrifices of my grandfather and his family to find their new land, America.

Maori Girl with Moko Chin by New Zealander Photographer

The final piece I created is a representation of my own self and how I carry on my ancestors’ legacy in a land other than my Maori homeland. My culture and ethnic heritage inspires me to create work and media that properly perpetuates not only my own culture but others as well.












***Just for kicks and giggles here's what a haka should look like

No comments:

Post a Comment