Monday, March 6, 2017

Family Trees and Tobacco Leaves


Ross McElwee’s Bright Leaves (2003) is an autobiographical exploration of McElwee’s familial roots in both the North Carolina tobacco industry. The film begins by Ross searching to find out more about how his great-grandfather both created and lost his fortune in the tobacco industry. Deeper into the film we see Ross also explore the paternal ties in his own family, particularly the relationship Ross has with his father and his relationship with his young son.

As a fan of Ross McElwee, I chose to view this film not so much for the content presented but because of McElwee’s autobiographical style. I particularly like how he takes a larger subject, such as the North Carolina tobacco industry, but always brings it back to diving deeper into his own self-identity and relationships with friends and family that he finds defines him. We see this also in his 1985 film Sherman’s March. A quote from Bright Leaves that I feel sums up Ross’ roots exploration of the film is found at the opening of the documentary when he says, “My wife then said I’d been looking a little anemic – maybe in need of a transfusion – my periodic transfusion of Southerness.” Here Ross introduces his desire to get back in touch with his Southern roots and throughout the film we see him do so as he establishes relationships with cousins he’s never before met and also the intimate relationship he is building with his son.


Similar to Ross McElwee, I have found a common theme in my own work to be concerned with questioning my own self-identity and the stories of the past that have shaped me to be who I am today. I am inspired by Ross’ candidness and willingness to be frank and vulnerable from behind the camera. These are tools I hope to implement as I continue to make my own documentaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment